Friday, August 14, 2009

Boomer, Part Deux

I wrote a little bit about my best bud, Boomer, last week. It was the one-year anniversary of his death at the time, and I was cherishing my memories of him.

But, there's so much more that I can say about this "more-than-a-cat."

Today, my nephew Colin, was telling someone about Boomer. How he was the "best cat ever." Joe would consistently bring Colin Little Debbie Snack Cakes and tell him that Boomer made them. He also told Colin that Boomer "put the power" in his truck. Colin is five years old, so maybe he knows and maybe he doesn't, but he was so proud telling Jess of Boomer's accomplishments. And he was concerned about the snack cakes. He said that no one can make those cakes anymore because Joe didn't get the recipe from Boomer before he passed.

When Joe and I picked Boomer up for the first time, he was so tiny! Like I said before, he had been found abandoned by a dumpster (in Starbuck, I believe). I had seen an advertisement for him in the Canary I believe. We went one night to check him out, and he was the one. Joe and I had driven separately, so Boomer rode with Joe. We had brought a box to tote him in (I think it was a potato chip box, actually!). But he soon crawled out of that, and was freely roaming Joe's pickup. I think Joe was probably a little freaked out that a tiny little kitten was climbing all over his relatively new pickup! But we all made it home safely, and Boomer adapted to his new living space quickly.

He wasn't an angel, that's for sure. My mom and dad's cat Muffie (or Muffy, depending on who spells it) always seemed to be on the short end of the love at our house. She was always getting picked on - and Boomer was no exception! Once he was a little bigger, he had no problem torturing her.

One year Joe and I bought him a cat sweater as a joke. We thought we would put him in it and take a picture, just for a good laugh (and memory). But Boo was smarter than us. Somehow, the sweater ended up in the garbage and was burned. I know in my heart to this day, that he was somehow responsible!

He was not only a cat, and I will continue to cherish his memory for many years to come.

No comments: