Friday, February 10, 2017

9 Benefits of Owning a Pet

On July 4 of 2016, I adopted two kittens, Mack and Cam. That's them in the photo, with their favorite toy, Hedge the Hedgehog.

I've had pets from birth, starting with a house cat named Kitty (genius, right?). Growing up on a farm meant we always had barn cats/kittens and at least one dog.

I can't imagine an existence without the companionship of animals.

I'm not gonna lie, life has been more than a bit stressful as of late, and having these two peanuts at my side has provided a sense of comfort. The lessened anxiety I feel is just one of the many benefits of having a pet.

Our favorite go-to vet, Dr. Jeff Werber, had a nice chat with host Melanie Cole about the myriad of pet perks when it comes to your health.

I mentioned anxiety and stress reduction, but my kitties also make me happy. I will sometimes catch them doing something silly and will literally laugh out loud.

Dr. Jeff says the simple act of petting a dog (or cat) can lower your blood pressure.

Kids who have pets get higher grades, score an average of five points higher on IQ tests and are less likely to miss school due to illness. Allergies and asthma can be a big concern, but studies have also shown that animals, specifically cats, can help you develop immunity to asthma and other allergies.

People with dogs tend to have lower cholesterol levels. And get this... individuals who have had a cardiac event (heart attack, stroke, etc.) are eight times more likely to still be alive a year later, AND people who have cats are 40 percent less likely to suffer a cardiac event in the first place.

Seniors who lose a spouse live longer than those without pets. Pets give purpose. I know that I have to get out of bed in the morning and feed my snugglebugs. Same can be said for those with dogs. Unless you have an indoor pooping station, you have to get outside at some point.

Now, if you're not physically capable (or up to the task) of wearing out your lab or shepherd at the dog park, you might want to adopt a smaller dog, or at least a breed that is less active. Greyhounds are great for elderly folks, because they sleep a lot; almost as much as cats.

I know people say that dogs are way more affectionate than cats, but I don't necessarily believe that. When Mack is curled up in my lap as I type away on my keyboard, and then he looks up at me like, "You are the best mom in the world," well, that makes me feel pretty special.

One last little piece of genius advice from Dr. Jeff: Poodles before Prozac, Labs before Lipitor. Enough said.

For all the awesome info from Dr. Jeff, make sure you click over to take a listen to the segment.

P.S. If you're thinking of getting a pet, please adopt. There are so many animals in need.

No comments: