Friday, February 10, 2017

Does Your Pet Have a Better Diet than You?

Just months after adopting my two kitties, I have decided that yes, they DO have a better diet than me.

Ever since I lost my dear Boomer to kidney and pancreas issues at a not-so-elderly age, I have been careful about what I feed my pets. The main brand I'm currently giving them has 3-4 ingredients and no preservatives. Another brand I regularly mix in has vegetables.

They love it all.

Not once have they turned up their wet little noses; a vast difference from a lot of kids (and some adults).

I look at my own diet and could take a lesson. I try to stay under seven ingredients in most staples, but sometimes that's unavoidable. I've been fairly successful at not buying anything with ingredients I can't pronounce, which is a good rule of thumb.

Of course, the problem in comparing human diets to pets is that we are human. We get to choose what we eat; our furry friends don't.

Dr. Douglas (Duffy) MacKay puts it in perspective: when you make decisions on what to eat, you have many more variables, such as convenience, taste, discipline, trends, and eating in social settings.

But, as a human placed in certain situations, you're more likely to make poor choices and unhealthy compromises. When I'm out watching football on Sunday and someone orders French fries, I'm going to have some. I mean, it's Football Sunday.

Freshness and variety is good for you, no doubt. Still, Dr. MacKay says that we can learn from our pets' example by having a few go-to options that will provide essential nutrients (both micronutrients and macronutrients) and other compounds. For example, if you wake up and just can't decide what to eat for breakfast, do a smoothie. That way, you can pack in a bunch of nutritional goodness (protein, amino acids, fiber) with little effort.

Dr. MacKay also swears by the nutritional value of sardines, but if you're not a fan, just make sure you're getting enough omega-3s via other sources. If those sources are not food-based, try a fish oil or algae oil supplement.

Two other must-haves in Dr. MacKay's household are probiotics and a good multivitamin. If you put as much effort into your own nutritional needs as that of your pet, you might just start to feel healthier, happier and more energetic. Your coat may be shinier... oh wait, nevermind.

I love having Dr. MacKay as a guest because he's so knowledgeable and well-spoken. I encourage you to take a listen (even if you don't have pets!).

Click here to listen to or download the interview.

No comments: