Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sleep

I'm not witty, or particularly interesting tonight in this blog. It was certainly an interesting day. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. this morning with a yucky tummy . . . and stayed awake until about 8:00 a.m. this morning. At which point I called in sick to my gig at the Angel's game in Anahiem, and tried to go back to sleep. I finally dragged my sorry butt out of bed at 12:30. What a waste - half a day gone. But I kept trying to tell myself - if your body is craving sleep, let it sleep. Why do we deprive ourselves of such a necessary thing - sleep, that is? My body, my brain, my self needs sleep - and a lot of it, apparently. So why do I feel bad, when I don't have any "prior engagements" and I sleep? Isn't that my body saying "Thank you, I needed that."? Of course, I have the luxury of being able to sleep. My dear friend, L., has a nine-month old. She is deprived of sleep. But there's not a whole lot she can do about it! My greatest wish is for restful, deep sleep - for everyone. In fact, I think the world would be a better, more peaceful place, if we were all allowed to sleep according to our needs. Strife in the Middle East? Perhaps if Osama and Suddam had only gotten a few more hours of sleep per night, we'd be in a much better place. (for those of you who care, I just changed the Title of my blog from "Just rambling" to "sleep") I marvel at my parents - up at 4:00 a.m. every day to milk those cows. After heading to bed at 10:30 or 11:00 the night before. That's like only 5 hours of sleep. Craziness! I suppose you learn to adjust. After 23 1/2 years of doing it that way - how will they adjust when there's no more cows to milk? Will they sleep til 7:00?

Anyway . . . I guess I should have just kept my original title as "Just rambling" since that is what I seem to have been doing.

Sweet dreams, all.

No comments: